Who We Are And What We Do...
Peacemaker International is a Charity for the advancement of conflict resolution through mediation services and training.
Major emphasis is on:
- Empowering women for justice by supporting survivors of domestic abuse and their children;
- Providing skills development, mentoring, befriending;
- Supporting ex-offenders and new arrivals in the UK and;
- Providing advocacy and promoting the rights of people with learning disabilities and social inclusion of the elderly;
- Campaigning to raise awareness of issues of forced marriages and female genital mutilation;
ALL HANDS ON DECK AT PEACEMAKER INTERNATIONAL
Our peace-making and gender equality activities started in 1998 with ‘The Peacemakers’, registered as a company limited by guarantee in 2000. Two people were given a Millennium Award to work on ‘Extent of Domestic Violence among Black African and Caribbean’.
This led to the formation of Bradford Women in Safe Hands (B-WISH, later called ‘Women in Safe Hands). B-WISH was also registered as a company limited by guarantee. In 2011, because of cutting in funding, the two organisations came together to form what is now called PEACEMAKER INTERNATIONAL and registered in England and Wales as PEACEMAKER INTERNATIONAL (PROJECT).
We currently operate in Bradford, Manchester and Nigeria.
- MEDIATION SERVICES AND TRAINING, including HOME-SCHOOL MEDIATION and COMMUNITY MEDIATION.
- MENTORING AND INTERNSHIP FOR JOB SEEKERS IN THE THIRD SECTOR.
- LEARNING DISABILTY AND OLDER PEOPLE’S PROJECT: (Encouraging equal treatment for all people regardless of their disabilities or age.) The project provides proficiency training on health and well-being and encourages social interaction for socially excluded vulnerable people.
Currently, we are piloting ON THE MOVE… WELLNESS INITIATIVE to support this group through one-to-one sessions, regular meetings/activities, advocacy and outreaching.
- EMPOWERING WOMEN FOR JUSTICE PROGRAMME, supporting survivors of domestic abuse and their children, forced marriages, honour killings and female genital mutilation (FGM)
- PEOPLE IN CHARGE: People who are providing these specialist services are appropriately qualified. For instance, Makin Dixon Solicitors provides a two-hour free legal Family Clinic every 1st Monday of the month, starting from 5pm.
We also have experts on Women/Peace-making with BA (Hons, Peace Studies, MA (Women’s Studies); and a professional linguist with D.Phil (Language and Linguistic Science) and other project workers and volunteers vast in their fields. Their hands are always on deck when at work.
- Successful FGM campaign and an FGM training package to professionals in the NHS, schools and social services.
- On 5th March 2015 we delivered a conference – ‘Towards Eradicating FGM attended by over 300 people, including Council Leader, Lord Mayor, MPs, Police Crime Commissioner, Bishop and Imam.
- Past clients of Domestic Violence are now champions; speaking publicly, acting as positive role models to inspire and make current survivors feel empowered.
- Partnership working with other organisations across the sector and other voluntary organisations, including referral process between churches and mosques.
BENEFITS TO THE PUBLIC:
- We offer help to job seekers to achieve employment through work experience, internship/apprenticeship.
- Confidence building
- Public health awareness raising of common ailments and what we should do to tackle them, including healthy eating
- To support those with disabilities to survive in the midst of hatred and discrimination
- Help young people who are on the verge of self-destruction
- Education provides knowledge to help raise achievement and help people reach their goals
- Mediation reduces tension and improves communication within the community
- Women are empowered to reduce discrimination and prejudice against women; it also promotes equality and diversity.
- Become a specialist service provider around FGM nationally and internationally;
- Continue to have a high IMPACT and empowering women, children and young people;
- Maintain social inclusion for the elderly and the less privileged in the community
- Continue to deliver high quality services which meet the needs of clients;
- Maintain independence and control of the developments and direction of the organisation;
- Work more on health and nutrition awareness raising around the world, letting people know how the body can heal itself without medication;
- Develop a mixed portfolio of funding to develop a sustainable organisation.
Terms And Conditions
How You Use And Interact With Our Website
CHILD ONLINE PRIVACY ACT (COPA) OF 1998.
All persons under the age of 18 are denied access to this website. If you are under 18 years of age, it is unlawful for you to visit, read, or interact with this website or its contents in any manner. This website specifically denies access to any individual that is covered by the child online privacy act (COPA) of 1998.
LINKS TO AND FROM OTHER WEBSITES
Throughout this Website you may find links to third party websites. The provision of a link to such a website does not mean that we endorse that website. If you visit any website via a link on this Website you do so at your own risk.
Any party wishing to link to this website is entitled to do so provided that the conditions below are observed:
(a) you do not seek to imply that we are endorsing the services or products of another party unless this has been agreed with us in writing;
(b) you do not misrepresent your relationship with this website; and
(c) the website from which you link to this Website does not contain offensive or otherwise controversial content or, content that infringes any intellectual property rights or other rights of a third party.
Whilst we do take all reasonable steps to make sure that the information on this website is up to date and accurate at all times we do not guarantee that all material is accurate and ,or up to date.
All material contained on this Website is provided without any or warranty of any kind. You use the material on this Website at your own discretion.
EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY
We do not accept liability for any loss or damage that you suffer as a result of using this Website.
LAW AND JURISDICTION